Take your road test through Vista Ridge Driving School, a DPS-authorized third party testing location.
The Third Party Skills Testing (TPST) program was implemented September 1, 2014 authorizing Commercial Driver Education schools that meet requirements set by the Department to administer the driving skills examination.
Vista Ridge Driving School is an approved Third Party Skills Testing school and may administer the driving skills examination to those who meet the criteria.
At the time of the test:
If you are 16 years of age or older:
- Possess a valid DE-964 showing you have completed a Minors Driver Education Course
- Have a valid learner license for a minimum of six months
- A certificate from the DPS Impact Texas Teen Drivers (ITTD) video and receive a certificate dated within 90 days of the skills examination. You can find more information on the ITTD program here.
- Must have legal guardian present at the time of test.
If you are 18-24 years of age:
- Possess a valid DE-964 or ADE-1317 showing completion of a Driver Education Course
- Have a valid restricted driver license
- If using a DE-964 Certificate, you must complete the TEEN Impact, not the YOUNG Impact
- A certificate from the DPS Impact Texas Young Drivers (ITYD) video and receive a certificate dated within 90 days of the skills examination. You can find more information on the ITYD program here.
- Even though you may be over 18 years of age, If you have used the teen course DE-964, you must have a parent's top sign off on teen coursework at the time of the test.
If you are 25 years of age or older:
- A valid Texas Learners Driver License
- A certificate from the DPS Impact Texas Adult Drivers (ITYD) video and receive a certificate dated within 90 days of the skills examination. Please note: While the DPS Impact Texas Adult Drivers is still in development, you can take the Impact Texas Young Drivers program in its place. You can find more information on the ITYD program here.
For all ages groups:
- All documents required for your age group must be printed, we cannot print documents for you and we cannot accept any digital forms or on your phone.
If you are older than 25 and are applying for a Texas driver's license for the first time, you are not required to have completed driver education, however, it is highly recommended.
The DPS-approved Road Test fee is $75.00. All testing clients are welcome to reserve in advance the use of a Vista Ridge Driving School vehicle for their road tests, for an additional fee of $50.00. If possible, please contact us ahead of your scheduled road test, in order to confirm the availability of a road test vehicle. If you decide to use your personal vehicle for the road test, this vehicle must have a current inspection/registration sticker, front and rear license plates, and proof of vehicle liability insurance.
In order to be eligible for a refund, we require at least a 72-hour notice prior to the cancelation of an appointment. Rescheduling within that 72-hour window may incur a $25 rescheduling fee.
Be prepared for your road test! Download these road test resources.